SEPTA crews will work around-the-clock for 16 days, tackling critical track and power maintenance, station upgrades, and intensive cleaning as part of the 2022 Trolley Tunnel Blitz.
SEPTA Trolley Routes 10, 11, 13, 34, and 36 will not operate in the Center City tunnel from 10 p.m. on Friday, July 8 through 5 a.m. on Monday, July 25.
Trolley service will begin and end at 40th and Market Streets. Customers can board SEPTA’s Market-Frankford Line at 40th Street Station for travel to-and-from Center City.
Work that will be completed during the tunnel closure includes:
- Demolish and rebuild the full length of the eastbound 22nd Street platform, rebuild entire track bed, and pour new concrete decking
- Replace worn track curved rail at various locations
- Clean out and flush all pipes, drains, and vent wells
- Replace four miles of overhead contact wire
- Complete maintenance on Ludlow Switch
- Perform work on entire tunnel signal system
- Conduct heavy cleaning and maintenance at all stations including painting, lighting, graffiti removal, and drain and pipe cleaning
This is the tenth consecutive year SEPTA has held the Trolley Tunnel Blitz, which is scheduled during the summer when ridership is traditionally lower to impact the fewest number of regular customers.
-via Press Release